<< back to Job Postings
Personnel Services announces an opening for the position of Administrative Officer, Facilities and Operations. This is a full-time, Grade E-9 position located in the Facilities and Operations Department, with a salary range of $62,645 to $92,730. The incumbent reports to the Assistant Superintendent for Facilities and Operations.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF WORK
The Administrative Officer supports the Assistant Superintendent, Facilities and Operations in the management of the department in the areas of general administration, procurement, community-school, intergovernmental and interdepartmental relations, as well as coordination of administrative aspects of internal relations between the various components of Facilities and Operations. This position also serves as Risk Management Officer for the division. Supervision is exercised over the School Safety consultant; and the position serves as agent of the Assistant Superintendent in technical supervision situations as assigned.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK (May not include all duties performed – These are intended as an illustration of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Performs a variety of administrative activities, including preparing and/or supervising the preparation of outgoing documents and correspondence to assure timely submission to the School Board, Superintendent, Senior Staff, and other designated persons; maintains the department's policies and procedures; prepares and monitors the department's budget and department plans; prepares real property transactions and maintains records; represents the division in its relations with insurance and risk management; supervises the handling of claims; directs and supervises safety and loss control activities; administers the APS transportation demand management activities.
- Provides analytical and technical support and to department staff in the preparation of their budgets; prepares the department's budget submission and coordinates the department's response to questions and concerns during the development of the budget. Monitors expenditures throughout the department, consulting, when applicable, with APS Finance Department and advising the Assistant Superintendent, Facilities and Operations on an ongoing basis of the status of available funds in the various accounts and recommends intradepartmental transfers of resources.
- Provides analytical and technical support in the development of department plans and assists in the study of operations as directed.
- Provides analysis of APS risk and risk financing strategies, recommends coverage levels, contacts insurance brokers and insurers to effect the placement of insurance policies and prepares annual insurance renewal applications.
- Manages the response to claims against APS for insured losses in the areas of general liability, auto liability, errors and omissions and property.
- Supervises the safety and loss control activities of the APS Safety Consultant including the determination of risk exposures to be monitored, the establishment of inspection protocols and frequencies and the conduct of inspections.
- Supervises the collection of incident and injury reports; collection and analysis of data concerning student and employee injuries and assists other departments in reducing injuries and exposure to risk.
- Assists the Purchasing Office in setting appropriate risk transfer levels and conditions in contracts for goods and services; reviews insurance certificates for appropriateness.
- Provides technical assistance and support to principals and building managers to assure they are prepared for emergency response actions, such as evacuation of buildings, shelter-in-place, lock down and others that may be required; monitors compliance with state and local requirements for such activities.
- Provides support for community-school and interdepartmental relations, including acting as the Facilities and Operations ombudsman; represents the department in relations with community, school, and civic groups, as directed.
- Coordinates the development of real property transactions between APS and other parties; meets with potential space users to define requirements and coordinates with Arlington County Attorney or private counsel to complete real property transactions signed by the School Board.
- Coordinates space utilization within F&O buildings; serves as building manager.
- Coordinates participation with various County government offices in the implementation of cooperative and collaborative agreements in accordance with the Department's mission.
- Performs any other duties as assigned by the Assistant Superintendent, Facilities and Operations.
- Possession of a bachelor's degree in public school administration, business administration, or closely related field (master's degree preferred) and progressively more responsible experience in public school administration or supervision, some of which shall have involved facilities management, facility operations, design and construction, real property administration, environmental, property, liability and workplace risk management, emergency management and incident management or any equivalent combination of education and experience that would provide the above noted knowledge, skills, and ability.
- Comprehensive knowledge of principles and practices of staff administration and management, as applied to a public sector facilities planning, construction and operations unit.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the principles of risk management for public schools including environmental health and safety, liability exposure, loss control and prevention, emergency response and incident command.
- Thorough knowledge of departmental level purchasing, expenditure management and personnel policies and procedures.
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of others, including senior support personnel.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with principals, other APS administrative and support staff, the public, and other agencies.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, and to communicate with diverse community groups at meetings, in person and through written reports.
- Valid driver's license to travel to various locations within the school system.
Candidates must submit an application on-line and attach a resume, and a written statement of interest in and qualifications for this position. Please complete the on-line Administrative/ Technical application on the JOBS website: http://www.apsva.us/. A minimum of three letters of reference must also be attached. One letter should come from applicant's current or most recent immediate supervisor. (Recommendation letters may be sent in separately.)
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE AND WILL ONLY BE CONSIDERED IF ALL REQUIRED INFORMATION IS INCLUDED
It is the policy of the Arlington School Board, as stated in Policy 35-4.4, that employment opportunities shall not be restricted, abridged or otherwise adversely affected on the basis of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, or disability.
<< back to Job Postings