<< back to Job Postings
Personnel Services announces an opening for the position of Assistant Director of Purchasing. This is a full-time, Grade E-11 position located in the Finance and Management Services Department, with a salary range of $69,065 to $102,234. This position requires a three year probation period based on supervisory responsibilities. The incumbent reports to the Director of Purchasing/Purchasing Agent.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF WORK
The Assistant Director of Purchasing is a professional position in a very busy, fast paced Purchasing Department. The position is responsible for providing assistance to the Director of Purchasing/Purchasing Agent in administering Arlington Public Schools' procurement program and developing improvements in the program. The Assistant Director provides assistance in legal matters regarding awards of bids, contract administration, calculation of liquidated damages, and protests of awards by bidders or others. The Assistant Director responds to inquiries and complaints, analyzes market trends to obtain the highest quality and best prices available. The Assistant Director assumes the duties and responsibilities of the Director of Purchasing/Purchasing Agent during absences.
Work is performed under the general supervision of the Director of Purchasing/Purchasing Agent. Supervision is exercised over two administrative employees, the Buyer/Contract Administrator and Buyer.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK (May not include all duties performed – These are intended as an illustration of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Responsible for awarding contracts for goods, services and construction on behalf of the Facilities and Operations Department, specifically Capital Improvement Plan and Minor Construction /Major Maintenance projects.
- Administers Arlington Public Schools' procurement program and develops improvements.
- Investigates and determines the most efficient, reliable vendors for the purchase of materials, supplies, and services.
- Conducts interviews and establishes ongoing relationships with vendors; responds to vendor inquiries and/or problems.
- Participates in cooperative purchases with federal, state, and local governments.
- Participates in and conducts a variety of activities and meetings concerning purchasing.
- Ensures proper administration and adherence to established procurement rules, regulations, and laws.
- Investigates and reports to the Director of Purchasing/Purchasing Agent, complaints, improper purchasing procedures, protests of awards relating to bidding or award irregularities, restrictive specifications and/or contractors' failures to receive solicitations.
- Prepares requests for proposal and bid specifications; reviews and analyzes bids for completeness; evaluates and recommends enhancements to the school system copier program and automated purchasing system; identifies areas for improvements.
- Performs related duties as required or assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of established, recognized purchasing practices, procedures, methods, and strategies.
- Thorough knowledge of formal competitive bidding procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of the legal requirements associated with formal competitive bidding.
- Considerable knowledge of the structure and organization of a school system.
- Skill in performing technical research and preparing detailed reports, documents, and specifications.
- Skill in analyzing and evaluating detailed proposals and information and recommending an appropriate course of action.
- Skill in recognizing and defining procurement and contracting problems and initiating appropriate action.
- Skill in communicating effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Ability to exercise considerable independent judgment and sound reasoning ability in the evaluation of alternative proposals and bids.
- Ability to maintain detailed records and information and prepare evaluative reports.
- Ability to establish and supervise an effective contract administration system to ensure contract compliance by vendors with the specifications, terms, and conditions of the contract.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisor, school personnel, outside contractors and vendors, county purchasing staff, attorneys, and the general public.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- A bachelor's degree in business or public administration including course work in purchasing plus considerable experience as a buyer or similar position; or any equivalent combination of education and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skill, and ability.
- Certification by the Universal Public Certification Council as a Certified Professional Public Buyer (CPPB) and Certified Public Purchasing Officer (CCPO) or Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM).
- Experience of supervising staff is required. To include: setting, monitoring and evaluating objectives, developing training plans.
- Working knowledge of Virginia Public Procurement Act is desirable.
- Proven ability to establish, and maintain, effective working relationships with end users is essential.
- Knowing and understanding of the terms and conditions of IFBs, RFPs and contracts is required.
Candidates must submit an application online and attach a resume, a written statement of interest in and qualifications for this position. Please complete the online Administrative/Technical application on the APS website in the Employment section: http://www.apsva.us/. A minimum of three letters of recommendation must also be attached. (Recommendation letters may be sent in separately.)
APPLICATION PACKET, INCLUDING ALL REQUIRED MATERIAL, MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE.
It is the policy of the Arlington School Board, as stated in Policy 35-4.4, that employment opportunities shall not be restricted, abridged or otherwise adversely affected on the basis of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, or disability.
<< back to Job Postings